Dentures & Overdentures
While Dentures have long been considered a dependable option to replace your own teeth, some issues can develop with their use. The main difficulty with Dentures is that they rest on your existing teeth and gums for stability. This can promote bone loss, tooth decay and even periodontal (gum) disease.
Fortunately, there have been some modern advances in the use of Dentures, including one known as Overdentures. Overdentures are replacement teeth (Dentures) that are retained through the use of Dental Implant technology. The titanium posts used in implants are used to safely and permanently secure your Dentures in place.
This combination of traditional Dentures with the newer science of Dental Implants provides a viable solution for patients missing several or all of their teeth and who want to live a normal life and avoid some of the discomforts associated with Dentures.
There are many benefits to Overdentures over traditional Dentures, including:
- Provides better stability for your teeth, resulting in improved biting pressure and thus digestion (you chew your food more effectively)
- Helps to prevent bone loss that could result from the use of dentures alone
- Helps to retain your facial features and structure
- Provides added comfort and self-confidence while also reducing the likelihood of mouth sores and Denture dislodgement
- With proper oral hygiene and care, studies have shown that Overdentures can last up to 20 years
Our team of Denturists work closely with our Dental Implant specialists to ensure your Overdentures fit comfortably and function as promised. Please contact us to learn more about this treatment and to schedule a free examination.